How We Began
Our Swimming Club dates back to 1929 and owes its origin to the desire of a band of local life savers trying to maintain their fitness during the Winter months.
They formed the Bondi Icebergs Winter Swimming Club, drew up a constitution and elected office bearers. Included in the constitution was a rule that to maintain membership it was mandatory that swimmers compete on three Sundays out of four for a period of five years. This rule, known as the “15B rule” still exists and has been the source of much commentary over the years.
The Bondi Icebergs become licensed in 1960 and the members moved from a tin shed into comfortable premises with bar & poker machines. A further update took place in the 1970’s enabling the Club to operate on two floors.
In 1995 female members were admitted, and in 2002 the Club opened their new premises.
The Bondi Icebergs is the only licensed Winter Swimming Club in the world.
Since its beginning back in 1929, the Club has forged a reputation as one of Australia’s most famous Winter Swimming Clubs. We could not have reached where we are today without the support of all the members who have been involved with this great Australian swimming club.
Our history pages are dedicated to those Icebergs who have passed on since we began back in 1929. To name them would not be possible, to endeavour to would not be fair to those who might be omitted.
To our past Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Captains, Vice-Captains, Hon. Secretaries, Assist. Secretaries, Hon. Treasurers, Assist. Treasurers, Social Secretaries, Directors and Racing Officials we express the Club’s sincerest thanks and appreciation for their efforts.
To our vast number of active, active reserve, long serving and associate members for being one of us, we thank you all for helping make the club what it is today and add to the memories of the years gone by.